Due to the nature of my calling as a minister of the gospel, I travel a lot. During one of my recent trips abroad, I made up my mind that I was going to do minimal shopping so as to reduce the number of baggages I would need to carry home with me. However, it seemed as if everywhere I went, people of God kept showering me with such precious gifts, that by the last count. I had 4 baggages on ground. Since my ticket did not allow up to 4 free baggages, I had to pay for excess luggage.
There definitely may be some derivable benefits from excess baggage, but that does not change the fact that one is made to pay for anything in excess of what is allowed. What is excess baggage in our own context here? I define excess baggage as anything that we carry in excess of what is permitted. According to the way God has designed our bodies, we are better of travelling light. There are a number of carry-on baggage that we may be carrying around that are dangerous to our health, and feeling of wellbeing. These may include:
- Excess body weight (There is an ideal weight for every height);
- Toxic Emotions (such as anger, malice, bitterness, animosity, unforgiveness, etc);
- Toxins (as a result of constipation, indigestion, metabolic wastes, allergic reactions, infections, exposure to toxic chemical substances in the environment such as EMF, carbon monoxide, lead, mercury, arsenic, aluminium, etc);
- Excess burdens (such as unnecessary
responsibilities that we have unwisely assumed);
- More than optimal levels of STRESS.
The list can go on and on. We must gear up to shed some of these loads if we truly desire good health and a great sense of wellbeing. I have already written an article in the May/June edition of
GEM WOMAN on 10 simple steps for loosing excess weight naturally. I suggest that you revisit that article. In this article, I hope to simply throw a challenge for the new year for those who truly desire to let go of what may be killing them or slowing them down. The first time I threw this challenge was in September 2005 during one of my health seminars in Lagos. Among the many people who accepted to take the challenge was a dear lady who had been suffering from the excruciating pain of ARTHRITIS for about 2 years prior to that time.
She was sceptical about the programme’s ability to ameliorate her suffering but still decided to give it a try.
After all, it was all about eating and lifestyle changes and it was for only 30 days. Besides, it was ABSOLUTELY FREE. She didn’t have to buy any medications or pay any consultation fees. All she needed to do was to redirect the money she would have used in buying her normal foodstuff to buying the kind of foods that I had recommended. To cut the long story short, within only 2 weeks of the trial, all her arthritis pains were gone. She did not need any prophet to tell her to continue with that way of eating and living.
She has remained free of arthritis since then as she has continued with the programme. A 30-day programme has become a lifetime commitment for her. I am not promising that every case of arthritis (or any other disease for that matter) will disappear in 2 weeks. It all depends on the degree of damage that has been done and a few other factors. However, I am positive that everyone would experience improvement in one area of their health or the other within 30 days. Mind you, this is not a substitute for proper professional medical care.
THE 30-DAY CHALLENGE
Please take this challenge for 30 days and see for yourself if these things work or not. I have known people who have been able to reverse not only arthritis, but other debilitating conditions as well as lose excess weight, lower cholesterol and blood pressure, normalize blood sugar, stop heart palpitations, etc, by simply taking this 30-day challenge. I\ didn’t need to tell them to continue. They chose to continue with this way of eating and living when they saw the results in their own bodies. The things to do are as follows:
A. BEFORE YOU BEGIN:
Go to your doctor or a medical lab and do the following: check your blood pressure, resting pulse, Fasting Blood Sugar, serum cholesterol, body weight, height, Body Mass Index, kidney function test, liver function test, urine analysis, and stool test. Keep your results.
B. BEGIN THE 30-DAY CHALLENGE:
These are the things you must do during the 30-day period. Please make sure you do not cheat on the programme for maximum benefits:
1. Eliminate the following things from your diet and lifestyle for 30 days (say, January 2-31): cow milk, all dairy products e.g. ice cream, sweetened yogurt, cheese), sugar, soft drinks and other carbonated drinks, packaged fruit juices, white flour products (such as white bread, cake, donut, meat-pie, chin-chin, noodles, pasta, biscuits, etc), MSG, aspartame, caffeine, saturated animal fat, common or table salt (use unrefined Sea Salt for your cooking), junk foods, hormonal contraceptive pills (use other methods of family planning), tobacco, alcoholic beverages, hard drugs, self-medication, and other health-destroying foods and habits.
2. Eat only fresh fruits for breakfast for 30 days. You do not have to eat all the fruits at once. Keep eating the fruits throughout the morning period. For example, eat some papaw or pineapple or watermelon in the morning before you leave home for work; then take some banana, apple, guava, pear, oranges, tangerine, green or red grapes, etc, with you to eat at work whenever you feel hungry before lunch time. If you are diabetic, substitute fresh fruits with freshly extracted vegetable juices (e.g. 50% carrot juice + 50% bitter-leaf juice OR 50% carrot juice + 30% celery juice + 20% parsley juice). Drink a 240ml glass of these juices at, say, 7am, another at 9am, and yet another at 11am. Then eat an avocado at about 10am. You can juice these vegetables early in the morning and put the juice in small glass bottles or jars and take them with you to work to refrigerate in your office. If you do not have access to a safe refrigerator in your office, then you can juice them the previous evening and refrigerate or freeze them overnight; then pour into a thermos flask to take with you to work the next morning.
3. Eat some raw vegetable salad before your lunch for 30 days.
For lunch, you may eat any of your favourite cooked foods apart from the forbidden ones listed in Number 1 above. You may eat Brown Rice (or OFADA Rice, or any of the un-polished locally produced rice in Nigeria), Yams, Sweet Potatoes, Irish Potatoes, Whole Grain Bread (e.g. whole wheat bread), Beans, Plantains, etc. In Nigeria, such meals as Pounded Yam, Eba, Amala, Rice and Beans, etc, are all okay; only do not eat them with heavy meats as is often done. Also avoid all forms of FRIED FOODS. Boil, bake, or roast your plantain, potatoes, or yam, for instance; but do not fry.
4. Eat only a large bowl of raw vegetable salad for supper for 30 days.
Your vegetable salad must be vegetable salad indeed. Some people will fill their bowl with pasta, sliced eggs, corned-beef, sardine, roasted chicken, very creamy salad cream, and sprinkle it with some carrots, cabbage, and cucumber and they call this vegetable salad. Your salad must not have any of the animal products mentioned. It must be 100% raw vegetables and maybe a little dry fruit such as raisins or raw nuts and seeds such as almonds or sunflower seeds. Principally, use fresh and raw green leafy vegetables. You may combine cabbage, lettuce, carrot, radish, cucumber, tomatoes, onion, kale, zucchini, celery, spinach, etc, with raisins, sunflower seeds, almonds, etc. Do not use commercial salad dressings. Make your own salad dressing. You may use a simple recipe such as olive oil, flax oil, lemon juice, and honey for your dressing. Grape seed Vegenaise, a vegetarian form of Mayonnaise, is also a great option.
5. Eat only one cooked meal per day during lunch for 30 days.
You may swap your lunch with your supper. The rule is that you must only eat a cooked meal once a day. If you intend to eat a cooked meal during supper, then stick to a 100% raw vegetable salad in the afternoon.
6. You may eat more fresh fruits, raw nuts, and vegetables
Such as garden eggs, avocado, carrots, guava,raw almonds, walnuts, etc, for snacks if you feel hungry between meals. Only make sure you do not snack on unhealthy stuff. I will suggest that you avoid peanuts during these 30 days. Unsalted cashew nuts are better.
7. Don’t ever eat anything cooked before 12noon or after 7pm for 30 days.
This rule is very important. It allows your body to detoxify properly during the morning hours and to rejuvenate properly while you are sleeping at night.
8. Exercise for 30 minutes a day for 30 days.
Brisk walking is good enough if you cannot go to a gym. Just make sure you sweat during your exercise period. You may also just climb your staircase up and down 10 times each way for a day’s exercise. Do not force it. Stop the exercise if you begin to feel exhausted or dizzy.
9. Sleep for at least 6 hours daily at night for 30 days.
Your body repairs itself, rejuvenates, and heals during sleep. Sleep deprivation will rob you of these benefits. You may be eating right and still not experience improved health if you don’t sleep well.
Go to bed latest by 10pm and ensure that you obtain a minimum of 6 hours of restful sleep without sleeping pills during these 30 days. Note that every one hour of sleep before midnight is equal in benefits to 2 hours of sleep after midnight. So, sleep early. Try as much as possible to go to bed about the same time every day during these 30 days.
10. Drink about 8 glasses of purified water or watermelon juice daily for 30 days.
A glass of 240ml is the average. You do not have to drink all the 8 glasses first thing in the morning at once. Just spread it throughout the day, especially during the periodswhen you are not eating.
11. Spend some time in the outdoors every day for 30 days.
You need fresh air and sunshine for enhanced moods, Vitamin D synthesis, and proper blood oxygenation. So, deliberately create opportunities to get up from your desk and go out for fresh air and sunshine. Coloured folks need to expose their skin to early morning or late afternoon sunshine for between
60 and 120 minutes daily, while Caucasians (whites) need to for at least 30 minutes a day.
12. Read one chapter of the book of PROVERBS in the Holy Bible every day for 30 days.
There is healing power in God’s Word. Reading and meditating on God’s Word have been known to bring healing. He sent His Word and they were healed and delivered from their many troubles. I have chosen the book of Proverbs not because it is a magic book, but because I have come to know it as the Book of Wisdom; and the Bible says, ‘Wisdom is the principal thing.’ If you do not want to read the book of Proverbs, please feel free to read any other book of the Holy Bible.
13. Pray about all your concerns and needs for 30 minutes a day for 30 days.
Talking to God daily about your challenges and concerns has a way of lifting heavy burdens from your heart. There is a Friend that sticks closer than a brother. His name is Jesus. Take all your cares, burdens,
troubles, needs, and concerns to Him every day in prayer; for the Bible says, ‘He cares for you.’
14. Forgive all who have offended you and release them from your heart for 30 days.
This might sound funny, but it is a major part of your recovery program. I am definitely sure that by the time you experience great relief during these 30 days as you forgive those who have offended you, it is not likely that you will want to walk in unforgiveness again. Much of the insomnia (sleeplessness) that some folks experience is due to negative and toxic emotions such as unforgiveness, bitterness, anger, animosity, hatred, malice, etc.
15. Maintain a positive outlook and an attitude of gratitude.
Give thanks to God for every new day you wake up to see and speak positive words over your day before you step out of the house. Don’t ever make any negative confessions during these 30 days. Maintain a positive outlook on life and keep speaking positive words.
C. ON THE 31st DAY:
The next morning after you have completed your 30-day challenge, go to the same doctor or lab to repeat all the tests you did before you began the 30- day challenge. Make sure not to eat anything on the morning of the 31st day until your blood, urine, and stool samples have been collected. When your result is out, go ahead and compare the two results from your two different tests. If you do not know how to interpret test results, let your doctor assist you. Ask your doctor. For those who desire to see even remarkable improvements in their lab results, continuing the challenge for 90 days will make a huge positive difference.
Now, the ball is in your court. Go ahead and take the challenge. A trial will convince you. After seeing the result in your own body, you may decide what to do next. It’s your DECISION. The time of IGNORANCE
God winks at, but now, He commands
REPENTANCE [or a CHANGE of life and direction] (Acts 17:30). Please write me to let me know what your experience was like taking this challenge.
You can send me an email through this address: email@example.com. Please put “The 30-Day Challenge” in the Subject field.